Smarter Home Guide is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more here.
So, you’ve heard of an air fryer. Maybe you have one… but “what is an Air Fryer Grill?” you might wonder. If so, you’ve probably come across the PowerXL Air Fryer Grill.
Experimenting with cooking appliances is exciting – it can unlock endless possibilities! But, sooner or later, you might find that your fryer, contact grill, and toaster are just hogging your counter space. Plus, air fryers are so much healthier than traditional fryers.
If reducing clutter and eating healthier fried foods sounds like a win-win for you, then there are a few options to consider. In this article, we’re going to provide you with an in-depth review of the PowerXL Air Fryer Grill and go over some alternatives.
What Is The PowerXL Air Fryer Grill?
The PowerXL Air Fryer Grill is an all-in-one, counter-top cooking appliance meant for multi-tasking. Settings for the PowerXL include Air Fry, Grill, Broil, Bake, Pizza, and Toast. The unit houses up to 2 shelves, allowing you to cook several foods at the same time.
You can also use the Power XL to roast a ham hock, cook a rotisserie chicken or even reheat your leftovers. The air fryer feature allows you to cook crispy, breaded foods with up to 70% fewer calories than traditional frying.
How Does The Power XL Air Fryer Grill Work?
The Power XL works by generating a whirlwind of hot air around your food to produce a convection effect. As your food cooks, it browns the exterior while slowly cooking the inside to lock in flavor.
There are several accessories to diversify cooking options and reduce cleanup time. This includes a crisper tray, grill plate, rotisserie spit set, baking pan, oven rack and a drip tray.
The PowerXL Air Grill is rated at 1500-watts. With temperatures ranging between 200 to 450 degrees, you can cook just about any food you need to.
Reflects A Healthy Choice
Compared to a conventional deep fryer, this grill uses little or no oil cutting out at least 70% of your calorie intake.
As people have become more conscious than ever about their health and fitness, many believe that delicious food comes at a health risk. With the PowerXL Air Fryer, enjoy a fried food alternative that is as tasty as it is healthy.
Versatile Cooking Functions
One unique feature its large array of cook settings. With 8 function modes, plus your temperature control, you can hone in your favorite settings.
Apart from the standard air frying, this device also meets your roasting, toasting, convection, and baking needs.
The PowerXL Air Fryer comes with a host of handy accessories that adds value to your cooking experience.
Included is a stainless steel roasting rack, non-stick grill pan, crisper tray, a drip tray, baking pan, rotisserie spit and a useful recipe book.
Circulates superheated cyclonic air at high speeds to completely and evenly distribute heat.
With a maximum temperature of 450 degrees supported by optimum air circulation, the PowerXL Air Fryer produces consistent results irrespective of the cooking method you choose.
Reduced Cooking Time
The PowerXL Air Fryer Grill is said to be able to cook at a rate 40% faster than a traditional oven.
Air fryers cook much faster than traditional ovens, which is why they are such a popular choice. What’s more, with an air fryer you can cook your frozen food directly out of the freezer without thawing it.
Easy To Use And Clean
To cook food in the PowerXL Air Fryer, all you need to do is select the cooking mode and set it to the desired temperature. Easy-peasy.
Cleaning is designed to be a breeze, as well. With dishwasher-safe parts and a drip pan, you should have more time to enjoy your food and less time spent scrubbing.
What We Liked
- Multiple Cooking Functions: It allows for versatile cooking so you can explore a wide range of cooking techniques with this grill.
- Healthy Cooking: Having removed the oil in traditional frying, air frying just producues a similar product with less calories.
- Excellent Grilling Feature: Its grilling capability is one of the most unique features of this fryer. You can get very pronounced sear marks by means of a simple non-stick grill plate.
- Handy Recipe Book: If you’re anything like me, you might not know where to begin with your new air fryer. A recipe book taylored to your device helps acqaint you with the appropriate cooking methods for various dishes.
What We Didn’t Like
- If You’re Not Careful, It Will Be Quite Smokey: While you can avoid smoke by using a drip tray to catch the grease, sometimes it still gets smokey.
- Noisy: The general operation of the PowerXL is pretty noisy in comparison with other air fryers and toaster ovens. Aside from that, the rotisserie sets off a loud, banging noise when in use.
- Size: While compact sizes work great for smaller groups, it does impact the amount of food if you’re planning to cater to a large group. The PowerXL Air Fryer is smaller compared to some other fryers. If you overburden it with too much food, it’s likely to turn out unevenly cooked or under cooked. Since it’s not as tall as as a lot of convection toasters, the food gets placed very close to the heating element. This means food can get more easily burned.
- Gets Very Hot: This fryer gets hot on the outside and so it has to be kept away from other kitchen appliances. This seems like it could be a potential safety issue.
Does the PowerXL grill produce smoke?
This model is marketed as being able to grill “virtually smokeless”. This is half true.
You have to be mindful to use a drip pan with anything that’s going to drip juices or moisture onto the heating elements. Otherwise, the unit will produce a significant amount of smoke.
Can I check on my meals during cooking?
The rotating basket is removable during cooking. You can also flip food to ensure even heating. The PowerXL will automatically pick up from where it left off in the programmed cycle.
Does air fried food taste the same as conventional fried food?
No, not exactly. Much of the fried food tasted comes from the oil it’s cooked in. Because air fryers use hot air instead of oil, that won’t be the case. What you will get is a similar version of your favorite fried foods without all the grease.
I actually enjoy the taste of air-fried foods better in most cases. It’s “cleaner” tasting if that makes any sense…
What are the diminsions of the PowerXL Air Fryer Grill?
12.5″ wide x 7.675″ tall x 11″ deep
Exterior dimensions (with handle)
19.125″ wide x 10.5″ tall x 11.375″ deep
If you like the idea of owning a multi-use kitchen appliance, there are other options that are possibly better suited. Below are our best-rated options for your smart home.
|Top||Ninja Foodi AG301 5-in-1 Indoor Electric Countertop Grill with 4-Quart Air Fryer, Roast, Bake, Dehydrate, and Cyclonic Grilling Technology||Prime||View On Amazon|
|COSORI Air Fryer Max XL(100 Recipes) Digital Hot Oven Cooker, One Touch Screen with 13 Cooking Functions, Preheat and Shake Reminder, 5.8 QT, Black||Prime||View On Amazon|
|NuWave Brio 15.5-Quart Large Capacity Air Fryer + Grill; Probe; 2 Stainless Steel Racks; Drip Tray; Rotisserie Kit; Sear, Stage, Preheat, Rotisserie||Prime||View On Amazon|
|COSORI Smart Air Fryer, 14-in-1 Large Air Fryer Oven XL 7QT with 7 Accessories for Pizza Toast Dehydrate Bake, 12 Presets, Preheat, Shake Reminder & Keep Warm, Works with Alexa, 1800W, 7QT, Black||Prime||View On Amazon|
The PowerXL Air Fryer Grill is an honest try at combining a toaster oven and an air fryer. Take that, add a grill pan and it becomes a bit of a gimmick. They found a niche and targeted the marketing very well.
There are just simply better appliances that achieve what the PowerXL claims to. My advice would be to take a look at our alternative options above.
If you have an Echo Show, the Consori Smart Air Fryer (Shown Above) pairs well. The Echo Show models are great for your kitchen since you can watch cooking shows, view recipes and multiple timers.
That concludes our review on the Power XL Air Fryer Grill. I hope you’ve found it useful.